Monday, April 2, 2012

Omaruru

Hello All.   It’s taken a bit of effort to get a reliable internet connection, but I now have one that should be dependable through the end of my training.  I don’t have a lot of time, so this post is going to be more informative than entertaining.  


Some basics; I’m now a Peace Corps Trainee (PCT).  There are 22 people in my Peace Corps training group.  We met in Philly, made the 36 hour trip to Windhoek Namibia, spent about 4 days training in Windhoek, then were shipped to Omaruru where we are training now.  I moved in with a host family about two weeks ago (a couple and their 8 month old daughter).  They’re very nice and have been teaching me a lot about Namibian culture and cooking and other necessary skills such as manual clothes washing.  They also speak the language I am being trained in which is Rukwangali.  Rukwangali is the language of the Kavango region, which is in the North of Namibia on the border of Angola and where I will be assigned for my 2 years as a peace corps volunteer (PCV) once I complete training. 

My homestay is in an area known as “the location”.  The location is where all blacks were made to live during apartheid.  It’s safe during the day, but no volunteer is allowed out past 9:00 PM as the area can be unsafe after dark.  On my third night at my homestay, a drunk driver who had stolen a car crashed through my neighbor’s fence.  Binge drinking and drunk driving are big issues here. 

The family I’m living with has been wonderful.  The mother of the house, Josephine, has been great about teaching me how to cook Namibian dishes and practices language with me every night.  Today, she and two of her friends sat with me outside as I washed my clothes and helped me practice Rukwangali.  They all got a kick out of my screw-ups, but seemed impressed by my progress.  I still feel clueless, but I haven't been at it for long.  The father, John, also helps me practice language.  John is a town police officer, so I feel safe here at home.  There daughter, Anna, is a doll and easy to entertain.  It only took me a few days to feel completely comfortable with my new host family.

My days are busy.  My weekdays start with a 4 mile run at 5:30 AM with my PCT running partner, Pamela.  It’s cold here in the morning, which is great for running.  However, it’s still dark at that hour and the strange noises from the tall grass get your attention in a hurry.  Luckily, the clocks just fell back here today, so our runs will be a bit less spooky.  My training starts at 730 AM.  We have a couple hours of language followed by technical training on subjects like HIV/AIDS, Gender roles in Namibia, Cultural dos and don’ts, Malaria, volunteer safety, Namibian culture, and nutrition.  We wrap up training at 4:30.  I get home around 5, hang out with my host family for a bit, and then study from 6 until 7.  At 7, I start on dinner with my host mom.  Food prep is a longer process here than in the states.  There are typically a few stages and time to study in between.  So, I’m pretty much in the kitchen studying, cooking, eating, playing with Anna, or cleaning from 7PM until 9:30 PM.  By 945, I’m in bed and asleep nearly instantly.   

My weekends are almost as busy as my weekdays.  Yesterday we had a “cultural food day” where people representing the various larger ethnic groups of Namibia showed us how they prepare traditional food.  Since I’m going to be in Kavango, I helped the Kavango group with their food prep which included the slaughter a few chickens.  The process goes like this; you grab the neck just below the head firmly and pull the chicken down on its side, you then pin its legs to the ground with your foot, then you take a knife (preferably sharp) and slice open the throat.  The chicken flaps and shakes (even if the heads been removed) so you have to hold it down until the convulsions stop.  My chicken didn’t convulse for very long, which one of the Namibians near me said meant that I would not live a very long life.  Apparently, how long the first chicken you kill convulses indicates how long of a life you will have.   I pointed out that the head was still moving.  Hopefully that counts. 

After the chicken slaughter came the plucking, gutting, butchering, and cooking.  I’m told I might be doing a lot of this sort of thing in Kavango depending on the specific community I’m assigned to.  It wasn’t so bad, but chickens aren’t the only meat they eat around here.  There’s a lot of goat and cow eaten in this country too.  I’m not in a big hurry to participate in a goat or cow slaughter, but eventually they’ll come. 

Other weekend activities so far have included wandering around the location in an attempt to find where all the other trainees live, soccer with local kids, Saturday morning runs, house cleaning, studying, and a meal and some beer with other PCTs.  One PCT, Cathy, spent a few minutes of her weekend killing a zebra snake (we’re told this is a very dangerous snake).

We get a lot of inoculation shots (rabies, typhoid, Hep A, Hep B) and training on how to know if we’ve contracted malaria and how to deal with it if we do.  Even though I take a malaria prophylaxis, I still have about a 7% chance of getting malaria during my service and probably a bit more than that given my likely assignment.  However, being on a malaria prophylaxis will greatly diminish the severity of the malaria if I do get it, provided I identify it quickly and take the necessary steps to treat it. 

The training on HIV/AIDS and other Namibian health challenges has been eye opening to put it mildly.  I’ve quickly come to understand the immensity of the problem HIV/AIDS posses here and the daunting challenges that await a Peace Corps Volunteer.  Some rough stats; Some of the regions in Namibia have an HIV prevalence rate greater than 30% (in contrast, California’s rate is something like 0.02%).  The region I will be assigned to, Kavango, is the poorest in Namibia.  18% of the Kavango population is “poor”, and 23% is categorized as “Severely Poor”.  The Kavango HIV/AIDS rate is about 25%.  There are other highly disconcerting facts, trends, and figures for the Kavango region that I don’t feel comfortable sharing here. 

Most of our PCT trainers are Namibian.  They’ve been doing a great job of preparing us for out assignments (as much as you can actually prepare a person for something like this).  I’m really enjoying training, but it won’t last long and soon I’ll be on my own in Kavango, which is when things are going to get tough.  I won’t have my running partner or the other 20 PCTs to keep me company any longer.  I won’t have my awesome Omaruru host family, or 10AM training tea break, or big weekend “cultural food” activities with all of the PCTs and training staff or any of that.  I’ll have a community with a boatload of issues and the powers of a mere mortal to deal with them.  I’ll have to figure out how I’m going to actually provide some value to my assigned community by figuring out creative ways to communicate messages about HIV/AIDS (and other STDs), TB, malaria, nutrition, domestic violence, food safety, hygiene, sexual health, and alcoholism. 

OK, that’s all I have in me for now.  I could write forever about how beautiful it is here, or about my home or neighborhood, or the other PCTs (great group of people), or the food, or the bugs (so many and so big), or any number of things.  But, I’ll be here for another 26 months, so there will be plenty of time for all of that.  Thanks all for reading.  I hope all is well wherever you are. 

PS. Photos won't be available for a bit as uploading via my current connection would take years.  I'll post some as soon as I can.  

No comments:

Post a Comment